random musings and events; tales of lunacy and hysteria; lightning strikes of intelligence accompanied by gibberish; stuff to amuse, rants to abuse; general nonsense that makes up my days, my nights and all the fluff in between

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Canada Settles In

So I'm walking by big ol' Lab this morning for the first time in months...opted for a long walk through the snow instead of the gym...and we get to the park...Island Park is situated between the main branch of the river and a tributary...anyway, settled on the river are hundreds (literally) of Canadian Geese. We definitely have a community of geese that sticks around all year. Which I thought was weird...don't they migrate or something...anyway...I got to see the goslings earlier this year...anyway, apparently, we are either the first restover, or the last stop on the southern migration for this community of geese.

Anyway, it was pretty cool - hundreds of geese settled on the half frozen river - making that honking noise they make back and forth. I love my town - it's one of those small little communities that invites big chains, but keeps them on the outskirts and really nurtures the independents. So the downtown area and the streets up and down the river are unique and quaint. I had forgotten how nice it is to walk that route. Through the park along the river, across the big bridge...saw a Grey Herron too....up the street along the other side of the river, lined with hundred year old houses...so cool...

5 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Pollet said...

Walking through snow seems to be really good exercise, actually. I did that a bit while I was in Idaho. Creating your own path in the snow reminds me of running on sand or something. Takes quite a bit of effort. Heck, for those of us Californians unused to snow, it's a workout just to get in and out of winter clothes...

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 10:20:00 AM

 
Blogger leila said...

aaaaaahhhhhhh right,
i'm missing snow in just a eency teency no bigger than a pinky-finger way.
L

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 3:18:00 PM

 
Blogger k said...

shiny - that reminds me of some children's story about the biggest jam sandwich ever made - and the whole town helped sew the tablecloth and roll the dough for the enormous piece of bread and the jam makers spread it all up and then a flock of birds came and carried it away...this huge jam sandwich flying off into the sunset...

my geese are still here - unfrozen...

Friday, December 16, 2005 7:02:00 PM

 
Blogger Jeff Pollet said...

i faintly remember that children's story...the picture of the birds carrying the sandwhich away (tablecloth and all, if I recall is still there in the seive that serves as my memory.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 10:09:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

The blog looks and reads great.

Happy holidays and New Year hot shot.
n

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 12:00:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home