random musings and events; tales of lunacy and hysteria; lightning strikes of intelligence accompanied by gibberish; stuff to amuse, rants to abuse; general nonsense that makes up my days, my nights and all the fluff in between

Sunday, November 20, 2005

To Bikini or Not To Bikini...

So I am at the gym Monday night - late, after 9pm - as I prefer it when there are less than 8 billion people there...anyway, I'm still getting into the groove of having a gym membership and have not used all the stuff yet. But I have wanted to get into the lap pool and swim instead of riding the cycles all the time. Unfortunately, my swim attire was built for baking in the sun, not swimming in the pool and, truthfully, I'm about 20 lbs heavier than I've ever been, so my teeny bikinis aren't really all that flattering anymore. (Of course, one could argue that the gym is a safe haven where we can free ourselves of the fear of what others might think of us, but unfortunately, no matter where we go, we always have our own opinions of ourselves to deal with...shiny p was talking about body image over on her blog recently - ) Anyway, my own opinion, kept me from diving into the lap pool in one of my teeny bikinis, so I went to DICK's sporting goods and got a couple-o-suits that would make the dive far more practical and far less accidentally revealing.

So back to Monday night - I hit the bike first and then the weights, and was debating whether I had the energy for some laps - decided I did not and went into the lockers to change. A couple of ladies came in from the pool area in bikinis. I have no idea how to word this next...so I'll just say it. These ladies were heavy and they overflowed their bikinis in a very unflattering way. My first thought was that (like spandex) there are some people that should just not wear bikinis. It was a knee-jerk reaction. And then I remembered shiny p's blog about body image and about how society/magazines feed us what is perfect and what isn't and that my comments were that we should not buy into it by judging each other - something I had just done. In my comments I think I was trying to speak up for naturally thin people who get the "waif" or "eating disorder" rap, but at the gym fell into the disdain-for-fat hole. So all the way home, I crawled around in my head psycho-analyzing myself.

I came to this conclusion: I think it is fear that I am letting myself go so to speak. That I am not taking care of myself, not exercising enough, eating wrong, gaining weight....and that despite my arguments about confidence and body image, I am really uncomfortable gaining weight and being out of shape. Part of this is psychological - I have never been out of shape. I was always naturally thin, even scrawny, and active. Now I'm much less active and it's just not natural for me. And I wonder if the relatively bland, but judgemental thoughts I had about the women at the gym are a reflection of my fears. But I also wonder, where is the line between judgement and good taste? Is good taste just a matter of opinion? Because I recognize that truthfully, I thought the way the women were dressed was in poor taste for the gym even as I focused on their weight. I mean I wasn't comfortable in my bikini at the gym...but I suppose in an effort to curb my judgement of them and by extension me, I should focus on my exercising and staying in shape rather than what others are wearing at the gym.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Pollet said...

Quite a thoughtful post.

First of all, I would say that, despite whatever qualms you have about not being as healthy as you want to be, you should congradulate yourself for being at the gym in the first place.

I myself am usually quite skeptical about claims of 'good taste' or 'appropriateness'. I think there is certainly room in the world for such claims, but I also think there is always a big red flag associated with them, because they almost always say something more about the person calling inappropriateness than they do about the person they're calling it on.

Which is not to say that I don't feel the same way sometimes.

I'm curious what changed in your life that you're less active now. For me, I'm pretty much more active than I've ever been--I was never particularly active before, really; but it's still a conscious effort--I've gotten into some habits, but I still have to get myself out into the world sometimes to do something active, rather than, say, goofing off on the computer all day long.

And just to blather on quite a bit: I get pretty torn regarding the 'disdain for fat hole'. I think that as a culture we are 'fat-phobic' and that women are disproportionately affected by this (though men are catching up quickly); on the other hand, I just don't buy the 'any size can be a healthy size' thing that is espoused by people over at, say, http://www.bigfatblog.com/. Much as I think that people shouldn't be discriminated against for being fat, it seems just factually wrong that any size is a healthy size. (Just as it is factually wrong that thin = healthy.)

Monday, November 21, 2005 10:37:00 AM

 
Blogger k said...

yes, yes, yes - I agree completely. I think that commenting on appropriateness really does speak to the commentor, not the commentee. And it's funny since I consider myself to be REALLY open-minded. What many people might raise their eyebrows at, I just smile and enjoy. But what I discovered at the gym and what I am acknowledging more often is that I do have a list of things that make me wrinkle my nose.

And I also agree completely about weight and health. But it's such a sensitive subject - and being pretty naturally thin, no matter how out of shape I feel, I always feel guilty or like I don't have the right to complain about feeling fat or out of shape...it's difficult to find someone who I can have an objective conversation with about this. Because the truth is, I would never call myself fat, but I am heavier than I have ever been and I am definitely not in good shape. I just don't feel healthy - not for me. (Certainly there are many in the world in worse health than me, but that is not really the point) - the point is that I know my health and physicality have deteriorated and I don't want to become complacent about it so that one day I do wake up obese or in the throws of some serious health risk.

As to why I am less active - well, both my jobs changed in the last few years. I used to work the floor, lifting and moving books all day and walking for 8 hous straight. Now I sit at a desk most of the time, very quiet, very inactive. I also used to stock the bar myself when I worked, lifting cases of beer up and down the stairs. Now we have bouncers, and I lift nothing. Add to this the fact that I work 6 days a week, 10-12 hours a day, and that leaves me very little free time to walk the dog regularly, go to the gym, etc. And I am getting older. Nothing wrong with that, but my metabolism has changed and all the bad habits I had because it didn't matter when I could eat anything, are catching up with me now that I can't do that anymore.

I friend said to me the other day that she would rather go to the gym everyday than diet. On this I have to agree. I'm just still finding a way to incorporate the gym into my weekly routine.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 12:15:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home