random musings and events; tales of lunacy and hysteria; lightning strikes of intelligence accompanied by gibberish; stuff to amuse, rants to abuse; general nonsense that makes up my days, my nights and all the fluff in between

Monday, October 10, 2005

Transformation

My significant other (it's difficult to refer to him as husband, although we are married, since he has been emotionally and mentally absent from our marriage for roughly 3 years) has given up the drink. Yes, it was alcohol that made him into an utter ass of the grandest kind for three fourths of our marriage and one third of our relationship. And it was alcohol itself that made him sober. You see, his body actually rejected alcohol, making him quite physically ill. On doctor's orders and his unwillingness to throw up 6-8 times a day, he quit drinking. Almost overnight his gregariousness returned and his surliness subsided. He began telling me he loved me on at the very least a daily basis...words I had heard infrequently and for an entire year not at all, not once. He began rising early, making breakfast, feeding and caring for the pets and looking after our home. Previously, he crawled out of bed hungover in the late afternoon, to shower and go to work and drink until late into the night. Now, more often than not, he is home before 9pm...a phenomenon that surprises me still...as previously he rarely, if ever returned before 1am and for a five month period never came home before 7am - usually still drunk or on something harder. And finally, he has begun painting again...something he could not live without before and gave up almost entirely while drunk for three years.

You may think to yourself how great it is that this man has found his way...that he is on the path to recovery. And truthfully, there is a great part of me that remembers this person from before, missed him and is glad to see him again. I am happy that he is no longer killing himself. But, and it is here that I reveal a rather dark side of myself, I am actually quite angry. It feels selfish and mean to be angry with him - especially since he has spent the last month being the utmost of nice and sweet and kind. There is a part of me who thinks about how easy it would be to forget the last three years and slide comfortably back into this partnership with this man I remember - and there have been times in these last four weeks where I have felt quite comfortable with him, enjoyed him even. But despite this transformation in his personality and behavior, I find myself running up against the wall of my anger, my distrust and my weariness. Why am I angry? What am I angry about?

I am angry because he didn't give up drinking because he loved me or cared about us and our future - he quit because his body literally rejected alcohol. Radical, but hardly romantic and loving.

I am angry because while I struggle with sleep deprivation, 60 hour work weeks and a body that gets fatter everyday, he has in one month gained 20 pounds of muscle, looks great, is sleeping well, eating right and has plenty of time to paint every day.

I am angry because we don't talk about the last three years and while he seems to be starting a whole new way of life, I am having a hard time forgetting the crap and hell I went through for three years with no acknowledgement, no apology and no recourse - am I supposed to just roll over, smile pretty and forget it all happened?

I am angry because I want very much to remain detached and aloof and focus on myself - work hard, exercise, get out of debt. But I find him invading my space, my rhythm and my life. I had become quite comfortable not interacting with him. And not getting involved with his dramas. I had settled into a rhythm that was actually working for me. And now I am all fucked up again.

I am angry because I want so much to be supportive and happy for him - and I feel a ton of resentment instead. Makes me feel shallow and small and mean.

I am angry because I feel as if I have to sensor what I say - edit derrogatory comments about past behaviour or drunk friends - because he doesn't want to hear about it. But I need to talk about it, make him understand.

I am angry because I am afraid that he will never understand.

I am angry because I was ready to leave him, move on with my life and now I feel like I am expected to stay and give it another go.

I am angry because I expect myself to be generous and give him credit for trying hard and for being really nice now and for making up in actions for what we don't talk about in words.

I am angry because I fear that this wonderful person he has returned to being will suck me in and make me happy again only to abandon me and leave me in a battered heap because the allure of drinking is too great.

I am angry because I fear that I will never actually know and trust myself again or anyone else.

I am angry with myself because I didn't leave. And now I am in this place, tied together, but disconnected; partnered, but seperate; loving, but without love...

So, I take one day at a time. I am guarded. I wait.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

i wish I had the magic cure for your situation... i would take some myself. you seem like you struggle between what you believe is your commitment to stay and gut it out and a desire for a better life.

lemme think of some thoughts i think you might share -

- you have a room mate, not a soul mate
- you feel like you're serving a prison sentence, but you don't know when you get parole, or released
- you feel a moral obligation to stay and be supportive (in sickness and in health, to death do us part and all that stuff), and feel guilty and selfish for having the audacity to think that you deserve something better or more than you have

have you tried talking to a therapist, priest or friends? This haven't given me the answers but it's helping me get through each week....

I seriously hope your find your way.

Monday, October 10, 2005 11:16:00 PM

 
Blogger Jeff Pollet said...

You should at least look into al-anon, support groups for people who have alchoholic loved ones of various sorts in their lives. These things you're feeling are perfectly normal--which doesn't make them easier to feel, but should take away some of the guilt/weirdness, at least. It makes perfect sense that you would BOTH want him to be happy and ALSO feel resentful/angry/etc. Seems to me that what is required now is what YOU need to be ok, not just what he needs to be ok. He doesn't want you bringing up his old friends? Too freakin' bad. He had those friends, you had to deal with them (and him!) during that time...so it's going to be part of his recovery. Sucks for him, but you did your part, now it's his turn to do some work.

Even if he's off the stuff for good, and even if he's going to be good and loving to you now and in the future, it still might take a while for you to be able to be loved (especially by him) after having become independent in the ways that you did. It will take time for you to trust. And he had better understand that going into the 'new life'.

Please oh please check out some support groups. I have lost very good friends because I didn't do that early enough on...

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 10:35:00 AM

 
Blogger k said...

Dave & Jeff - you are both right and I know these things.
I think I put things out there in order to hear them and see them, not just think it...makes it more manageable that way. But also, to get this kind of feedback - or any kind of feedback, so I can gauge my thoughts and feelings and react and move forward accordingly.

I have a couple of very good friends who are extremely good listeners and help me to work through it day by day. I have not gotten around to al-anon - fear of admitting to being a victim/stigmatizing & labeling such support groups as victims....(mostly, although I recognize my own reticence, I simply do not have time to fit one more thing into my life - even something that would, according to everyone, be helpful). I work 60 hours a week, I am trying to exercise, and I absolutely need personal down time - fitting in therapy isn't really an option. I am going to check out a few sites online however.

In truth, I am a bright chic - I am fully aware that I am smack in the middle of co-dependency or whatever psycho-babble term they have come up with for it...and as I thoughtfully worked my way to the decision of leaving 6 months ago, I feel I will thoughtfully work my way to the next phase as it pertains to me.

It is however invaluable to hear unbiased viewpoints such as both of yours. Thank you for your support and advice and kindness. It occurs to me that this is just the therapy I need.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 3:59:00 PM

 
Blogger Jeff Pollet said...

I certainly use my blog as various kinds of therapy myself. It's just like any other kind of input--some of it's good and some of it is sort of not so good. I'm glad you got something good out of Dave and my comments.

I hope I didn't imply by my words or my tone that I thought you didn't *know* the stuff I was saying--you seem on the ball intellectually and emotionally. Frankly, I was probably just responding emotionally to your situation, empathy being one of my 'to-a-fault' qualities. :)

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 9:45:00 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer said...

geez... what a sitch. sounds like you left him a long time ago. might be best now to do it for real...? that's my very off-the-cuff reacion. maybe you just need to get re-used to 'having him around'. still love 'im?

Monday, October 17, 2005 6:49:00 PM

 
Blogger k said...

Jeff - no worries - and no offense - sometimes my replies are very intense, but not directed at the commenter...I often actually tune into your blog because so much of what you write about feels familiar...makes it easier to think my way through my own shit...

jen - you nailed it - in my head, I did leave him almost a year ago...but it's more complicated [money] - so I've kind of been trapped - but also have gotten used to the distance between us....

now that level of self-comfort is shot all to hell - he's acting like he did when we first dated, and I am stuck re-thinking and re-analyzing everything....

I know I still love him, but I no longer know for sure if that is enough for me...

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 2:49:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home