random musings and events; tales of lunacy and hysteria; lightning strikes of intelligence accompanied by gibberish; stuff to amuse, rants to abuse; general nonsense that makes up my days, my nights and all the fluff in between

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Fading the Stereotype

Every once in awhile, I realize how often I rely on stereotypes as a sort of shorthand to get through life. Stereotypes of course have a terribly bad rap because they are so often misused and abused. In fact, stereotypes exist because they are based around a relative truth. The problem of course is when we wittle existence down to the sum of the stereotype rather than being open to the fact that just because someone or something falls within the parameters of a stereotype does not mean that that is the sum of their existence. The other problem is that stereotypes generally do not mix well. Or rather we have segregated them so thoroughly that we have a hard time seeing two or more stereotypes in the same person.

Case in point: I teach art at a community college. Most of the students and teachers I associate with are what I would call fringe people. Meaning they do not fit some of the more popular and limiting stereotypes of teens and early twenty-somethings out there. They learned early on to go with their own flow and seem now to have found their stride and are revelling in it. What has caused me to ponder all this is one particular student that keeps hitting my radar. She is petite, pretty, has lovely shoulder length hair, and dresses with a rather practically feminine flair. She is however covered in tattoos. Not cute butterflies or hearts, discreetly placed here and there for easy disguise or for provocative peeking - I mean she is covered - two full sleeves, a large tat across her upper back, wrists, stomach, and so on. The dichotomy of her rather girlie appearance set against the rougher, edgier world of hardcore tattooing is a jarring reality for me every time. This is of course my own reliance on stereotypes working against me. She seems quite content with herself.

What I see in her is the evolution of identity. She isn't just going against stereotype, she's merging stereotypes. Rather than picking one that she is most comfortable with at the forfeiture of some other part of herself, she is blithely indulging it all. This is truly fascinating to me. So few people are able to actually carry this off. And frankly there is very little evidence of people even willing to try. I wonder if it is because people are generally uncourageous when it comes to personal expression. Or if it is because we as a society are so hell-bent on categorizing that even when someone truly new and innovative pops up, they eventually spawn a host of copy-cats and a new category is born - thus, effectively squelching the individuality that created it in the first place. Whatever the case, it's nice to have my own complacency skewed a bit...looking forward to more of it ~ I hope.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Pollet said...

I find this stuff interesting, too. Have you ever read any Carol Queen? She's got a great chapter in one of her books (sorry, don't have my library with me today at work!) about this sort of thing as regards butch/femme stuff in her personal life; how she came to realize that she was something of a 'top' but *not* butch...and how she embraced her femme-y side.

She also talks about attraction and how she's attracted to 'difference'--and she uses that word pretty much the way you talk about the stereotypes mixing together. I tend to be that way too.

Friday, October 28, 2005 9:31:00 AM

 
Blogger Jeff Pollet said...

Oh, and one more thing. You said:
"In fact, stereotypes exist because they are based around a relative truth." I think that's true as far as it goes, but I would add that some stereotypes are based around a perceived relative truth. Lots of racial stereotypes (i.e. 'asians are good at math') seem to be this way.

Friday, October 28, 2005 9:34:00 AM

 
Blogger k said...

hey jeff - I totally agree about the "relative" thing versus the "perceived" thing...and unfortunately, or maybe just in a really benign way, I recognize that I do traffic in stereotypes because it's an easily understandable shorthand or code and it saves a great deal of time in description or whatever when telling a story or relaying information.

What bugs me is that the whole politically correct wave washed through and now it seems to me that all stereotypes are seen as bad or racist or whatever when in fact, different races do have different distinguishing traits or habits or whatever...acknowledging that is okay I think...it's just too bad when it gets turned into a way to degrade or look down on something or someone that is "other."

Monday, October 31, 2005 5:50:00 PM

 
Blogger k said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, October 31, 2005 5:51:00 PM

 
Blogger Jeff Pollet said...

Well, I'm usually skeptical of the whole 'let's not be *too* politically correct' thing, because it's often (often, not perhaps in your case) short hand for the sort of 'color blind' theory that upper-middle class white people put forward. Not that it's always that way, but it just happens so often, that it's a read flag for me.

And when one comes down to talking about the ways that different races are different--in habit or culture or whatever--I'm always trying to be very careful that I'm not being racist, because I think it's very easy to slip from stereotype into racism (or sexism, or homophobia, or classicism, etc.).

Still, I agree with you that stereotypes aren't always automatically bad or racist, and are sometimes useful.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005 10:47:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home