random musings and events; tales of lunacy and hysteria; lightning strikes of intelligence accompanied by gibberish; stuff to amuse, rants to abuse; general nonsense that makes up my days, my nights and all the fluff in between

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Mary Lincoln

My event today was an author signing for The Madness of Mary Lincoln. Sufice it to say, that woman didn't have one moment of happiness. Her life was worse than Dickens. Really interesting author/speaker. But really depressing life. (Mary Lincoln, not the author.) Check out the book.

And, I learned more in one conversation with the author about the Lincoln family than I learned in 18 years of field trips, class trips and living mere miles from all the Lincoln sites.

2 Comments:

Blogger leila said...

I remember last year i had some students do a presentation on american presidents, well, one of them said that Lincoln was born in Kentucky. Did i ever get up on my high horse. I said "Well, I'll have to verify THAT information.
Well, indeed. He was indeed born in kentucky. SURPRISE! They sure do string us along in Illinois don't they!
sheesh.
live and learn.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 9:47:00 AM

 
Blogger k said...

Actually, I knew he was born in Kentucky, but I do live within minutes of all the Lincoln sites and I took some sort of field trip to see said sites every year of my grade school career. Springfield's (& Illinois') claim to be the Land of Lincoln stems from the fact that he lived here a lot of his adult life, married, had children, practiced law, ran for office all from Springfield. But he had humble beginnings in the holler of Kentucky. Of course, I had forgotten that until I went and visited the Lincoln Memorial Library. Isn't it interesting thought how we tune out so much information and only remember highlights - reformulating the information based on assumptions. Even though I knew the birthplace, it's so overshadowed by his role in Springfield, that it becomes trivial.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 10:21:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home