random musings and events; tales of lunacy and hysteria; lightning strikes of intelligence accompanied by gibberish; stuff to amuse, rants to abuse; general nonsense that makes up my days, my nights and all the fluff in between

Monday, November 06, 2006

Incessant Need

I'm sick. Cold, bronchitis, the works. This is day four. I'm feeling better than the weekend, but not good necessarily. I just worked 12 hours and spent 40 minutes on the phone walking my mother through an online transaction. One of my cats is meowing incessantly at me. I know all I have to do is go upstairs and see what it wants. It will walk right to either food, water or window. Easy fix. But I am downstairs, and tired and annoyed. One of my dogs whined and barked at me while I was on the phone with my mother, incessantly, so that I had to hang up with her to deal with her need. So I called NICJ to take her out. He did, I called mom back, fine. NICJ brought the dog back in and she bumps me, and whines and runs for the door and jumps on me - leaving mud streaks down my pants. I pet her, not enough. I pet her some more, not enough. She jumps on me again. Now I am SO irritated that I am cussing. (The neverending meower has come downstairs now to get my attention. I have just let him out the front door. Quiet at last.) Back to the dog - so NICJ can hear me cussing all the way outside. He comes in and takes her back outside. I am now tense, mud-smeared and annoyed. And I know that the very thing that irritated me tonight is the thing that endears me to my pets on most days - the neverending love and devotion, the need for my affection, the communicative ability of my pets - all this makes me smile and laugh and enjoy them. Tonight, I could smother them and feel only relief. I know it's the claustrophobia from my cold and the asthma...but I am glad they are now out, leaving me blissfully alone within.

There are just some days when as much as I love my pets, I can so see the appeal of being a petless person. No dirt, no pet hair, no whining, no love and affection and neverending devotion. Yeah, I'll never be a petless person. But a little distance is okay too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home