random musings and events; tales of lunacy and hysteria; lightning strikes of intelligence accompanied by gibberish; stuff to amuse, rants to abuse; general nonsense that makes up my days, my nights and all the fluff in between

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Blindsided...yet again!

I think I am possibly the stupidest person on earth. Otherwise, this crazy-sock-me-in-the-head-financial-blindsiding would not keep happening over and over again. What now, you ask...and here is the newest crisis:

I know (based on the running tally in my head) that I am running low on funds, but do not know how low exactly and must cover a $115.00 check that I wrote yesterday. So, I log on to the online banking and am stunned to find out that I am not just running low, but am rather, completely broke. $12.00 in checking, $15.00 in savings. Now, I realize that I am not a math genius and could very well have forgotten to carry the one somewhere, but I am certain that I should have roughly $150.00 in savings and a little over $200 in checking. So I begin scanning the debits in both categories and notice several ATM withdrawals over the last 2 weeks or so. Hmmmm....I do not use the ATM. I do not pay in cash for anything. I do not carry cash on me. Even when I bartend, I rarely keep any of the cash, instead depositing it immediately. I use my checkcard for everything. So, 6 ATM withdrawals in two weeks totalling over $300.00 is definitely cause for alarm and so I get alarmed.

Cause for these withdrawals #1:
My irresponsible spouse has "borrowed" the card and helped himself to over $300.00 worth of funds without telling me. (Or rather, he told me about a $60.00 withdrawal. That leaves over $250.00 un-confessed "borrowing." So, fuming, I call him at work and ask in a not so pleasant tone if he has been withdrawing from the ATM. I am given a resounding "NO." Nothing except the $60.00 he has already told me about. Uh-huh...

Cause for these withdrawals #2:
One of the many stellar cast of characters that he calls "friend" but that I call drunk/drug addict at the bar has helped themselves to our card number and pin number from his wallet and is regularly making withdrawals.

I immediately change the pin number. And now I am fuming/furious/enraged. And so very, very tired. And despite my wish to believe, I am leaning towards cause #1 as the sadly, more plausible option. I will hold out for further conversation. He claims an ID and something else are missing from his wallet. And the culprit could very well have written down the numbers without ever stealing the cards - making it harder to track them and the transactions. Clever little thief.....

But in the meantime, we are out over $300.00 and I am stuck scrabbling once again to just pay bills. The whole situation once more compounded by the fact that I am making enough to pay these bills, but not enough to ever get ahead of the game and have a little cushion.

Moral of this story - Do not leave your wallet unattended (duh!) Do not write your pin number where it can be found. Do change your pins often. And, the jury is still out on whether or not to open your heart and believe or hide behind the jaded bitch you've become.

1 Comments:

Blogger leila said...

oh girl, again, what to say to this? i'm totally disarmed.
i'm so sorry, i'm sorry that it seems you need to be that jaded bitch that i know you're not. that's a very heavy coat to wear.
i say you give it all up and come and teach english here in france.
how much fun would that be?

if i were there i'd do some ass kicking for you. he needs yet another straighten-up-your-act-ass-kicking.
that's fo'sho!

missing you,
L

Sunday, September 24, 2006 6:00:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home