random musings and events; tales of lunacy and hysteria; lightning strikes of intelligence accompanied by gibberish; stuff to amuse, rants to abuse; general nonsense that makes up my days, my nights and all the fluff in between

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Ode to my sister

My beautiful, fabulous little sister is getting married in 3 days. I wish her and my new brother much happiness and love and bliss.

We started off at odds - eight years apart. She was not the instant companion I thought she'd be and as she grew older, I outgrew the need for a constant companion. She became my shadow - not always welcome - and I seemed to wear a constant armor of frustration with her. Where I fought tooth and nail for many privileges, it seemed she effortlessly won our parents over much earlier in life. And of course, having had my parents undivided attention for almost nine years, she was not always appreciated by me.

Eventually she stopped trying for my acceptance and did everything she could to be the opposite of me in every way. When I went off to college, I saw her through clearer eyes and embraced having a sister - we grew closer, but only in distance. In truth, I was an only child whose life was overturned by a late arrival...she was in my shadow and later became an only child where she blossomed and grew. She is beautiful and smart and funny. Every day, I wish we lived closer.

It has only been in the last few years that we have become friends and only recently that I realize I could have been a much better older sister - it seemed to me that she never needed me and that I was in constant competition with her - for you see, although older, I was the frailer of the two, in a family that valured toughness, stamina and heartiness. So, by accident, I forgot that I was older - in fact - and spent the better part of our childhood trying to remind everyone of that fact.

Now, I realize that she may have needed me more than I ever knew and that I may have let her down. Maybe one day she will forgive me. In the meantime, I am looking forward to telling her how proud I am to have her as a sister and how proud I am of her when I give my maid of honor speech this weekend. She'll roll her eyes at me because it will probably make me cry - but since I AM the frailer sister, I guess that's okay.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rachel R. said...

you know its funny that i have had a similar set of conflicts with my sibs, i have a few and have spent much of my early adult years dealing with the self imposed guilt of not being the best older sister i could have, seems like you just stumbled on the same answer..you cant change the past, you can only figure out how you would rather be and start trying to be that, one sappy comment or supportive gesture at a time. i consider this very post to be a supportive gesture, even if sis never reads it you are figuring how you want to affect her life and giving her props for the positive place she has in yours.
rock on big sister, maybe your conception of frail needs to take a turn as confronting your own failure and willing yourself to change is something i consider a strong act by a willful strong and intelligent human.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 9:03:00 AM

 
Blogger Jeff Pollet said...

I'm with ra on this one. Seems to me most siblings have similar regrets in both directions...and it also seems to me that you have at least several facets of your self that are indeed very not-frail.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 10:34:00 AM

 
Blogger leila said...

well?!!? how was the wedding?

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 5:22:00 AM

 
Blogger k said...

Ra - this is very true - I can't change how things were - but I can change how things are now...and become better or build a better relationship for the future. I didn't really get to say what I wanted at the wedding - but I'm working on it.

Friday, March 24, 2006 7:52:00 PM

 
Blogger k said...

jeff - I used to feel not frail - now I do a lot of second guessing...not feeling to at home in my own skin lately. But I thank you for giving me a peak from someone else's eyes...helps to re-evaluate and well...lighten up a bit.

Friday, March 24, 2006 7:53:00 PM

 
Blogger k said...

leila - I'll send you pics with commentary when I get them developed...smoochies!

Friday, March 24, 2006 7:54:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home