random musings and events; tales of lunacy and hysteria; lightning strikes of intelligence accompanied by gibberish; stuff to amuse, rants to abuse; general nonsense that makes up my days, my nights and all the fluff in between

Monday, March 06, 2006

Embracing the beast

So it took nearly two weeks of phone calls, worry and waiting - but my laptop has been fixed and returned to me safe and sound! Ahhh, the sweet relief! It's a sad commentary really - how dependant I have become on my laptop. But in my defense, I have committed to submersing myself in a technologically friendly world. I have embraced the beast so to speak. To that vein, I have begun to eliminate the paper trail, purge my files, and streamline my daily life. No more little scraps of paper...receipts, etc. It is all on my laptop now...or much of it anyway. Only, the kicker is that I had not realized how completely I had given over to this - until I could not access it all. (Yes I back everything up). But to use the backup, you still have to have access to a working computer. Nor had I realized how changed my habits of communication have become. I have friends that I almost exclusively talk to only via IM or email. And we prefer it that way. So to be without the ability to communicate with many of my friends, or to access my addresses, email, lists, teaching files, etc - was really quite painful. And now I have a backlog of stuff I saved, waiting for the day I could input it onto my harddrive. Aack!

Of course, in the grand scheme of things, it was not life or death. And two weeks is relatively short in the timeline of life. I have it back now, and I am up and running with it all again. Blessed be and hello friends - my baby's back!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Pollet said...

at first I thought the title belonged at your other blog. :)

I have been away for three days and haven't had much access to a computer in that time. It is sort of a nice break, but a relief to be back in the world where I can email and read blogs and the like, so I sorta know how you feel...

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 10:09:00 AM

 
Blogger k said...

yeah - I don't mind the break, so much as not being able to access what I need...life is already complicated and when the steps you've taken to simplify get all wrenched up...it's frustrating...

but - I did read a novel cover to cover while the laptop was down..so it wasn't all bad.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 3:19:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home