random musings and events; tales of lunacy and hysteria; lightning strikes of intelligence accompanied by gibberish; stuff to amuse, rants to abuse; general nonsense that makes up my days, my nights and all the fluff in between

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Animal Magnatism

There is something about me that attracts animals. Dogs, cats, horses, fish...whatever the species, eventually, they find me, climb up on me, need to be near me. I will go to a complete strangers home where their cats or dogs (I'm told) normally hide from company, from strangers. Inevitably, that shy dog or reclusive cat will find it's way onto my lap or feet. My dogs follow me everywhere. Sometimes, I think they would crawl up under my skin if it were possible. And the cats are always checking in..giving me a little rub, a swish of the tail. But even my fish seem to be attracted to me. When I come downstairs in the morning, they swim to the corner of the tank that is closest to the stairs and hover at the surface of the water, waiting for me to throw in the flakes. Tonight while watching television, I turned to peer into the tank and realized that the fish were hovering next to me - they were in the corner closest to my chair, about halfway down the tank, just hovering. I realized they do that often when I am sitting there or on the couch on the other side. They come to my end of the tank and just hover. Perhaps I have a soothing manner. Maybe I give off some special sort of pheromone that calms animals - puts them at ease. I'm not entirely sure - but I do find it comforting to have bonded with my pets, even the smallest of them.

I wonder if instead of hovering, my fish were peering out of their tank at me - marvelling at how I always seem to sit on the side of the tank where they are hovering...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home