random musings and events; tales of lunacy and hysteria; lightning strikes of intelligence accompanied by gibberish; stuff to amuse, rants to abuse; general nonsense that makes up my days, my nights and all the fluff in between

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Decisions

Yesterday, I walked up to the bar where my husband works to get a burger and say hello. It's only a small deviation from the path I usually walk with the dog - a circuit through the park and down a street along the river. On the way home, rather than finish the circuit, I returned the way I had come, walking back through the park. This decision treated me to several moments engrossed in nature.

The Canadian geese that nest along the tributary through the part have all hatched their young. While I walked along the path, seven or eight adult geese and forty or so goslings were walking and pecking in the grassy area adjacent to the path. I stopped and walked several paces towards them and then just stood quietly as they approached. It was such a peaceful moment to watch the birds move slowly toward me, fanning out and then hurrying back to the group. The goslings are older, half the size of the adults, but without feathers yet. They are fuzzy, covered in down. They walk expertly though and eat the little gnats and bugs out of the grass. Several came within two feet of me. Because I stood perfectly still and just watched them, they were not frightened of me. It was a wonderful few moments, just observing.

Slowly, they turned away and moved in a different direction across the grass. I backed up to the path and made my way home, thinking how fortuitous it was to deviate from my usual path and retrace my steps. And how glad I am that I paused to take in the magic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home