random musings and events; tales of lunacy and hysteria; lightning strikes of intelligence accompanied by gibberish; stuff to amuse, rants to abuse; general nonsense that makes up my days, my nights and all the fluff in between

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

It's been a while - work, vacation, blah, blah, blah - but more importantly, I have discovered Instant Messaging. I think this is second only to caller ID in the great inventions category. Love this IM! In a world that becomes more and more disconnected by technology, I am often reassured (if only in the most cynical way) that technology can actually find ways to bring us together. And I do like the randomness of the instant message. The conversation is not like talking - you don't have to wait for the person to finish their thought before beginning your reply - so ideas sprout like wildflowers and suddenly you and your friend are following two even three threads of conversation. It's very expanding - and invigorating. And you can walk away without "hanging up on someone" - so it becomes liberating. To not be tied to the conversation. I imagine there are people out there who can talk to several friends at once - just jumping in and out of windows of conversation rapid fire - like being in a pub or coffer house, but without the smoke and alcohol. And without having to get dressed or take a shower. I may become a recluse. I could stay in bed with my laptop forever. Of course I would die from the staleness of being constantly indoors. But it's tempting sometimes to hybernate. Even more so when you know you can keep your friends with you. Maybe just for today...then of course, it's back to the grind. Even there, I can reach out and message someone. Comforting actually. Ahhh, someone is knocking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home