random musings and events; tales of lunacy and hysteria; lightning strikes of intelligence accompanied by gibberish; stuff to amuse, rants to abuse; general nonsense that makes up my days, my nights and all the fluff in between

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Ode to ma petit Leila


Hmmm, sweet girl. You were all around me and through me this weekend. Everytime I sipped my tea or paused to feel the breeze, you wandered into my thoughts. Not so much missing you (although, of course I do) as channeling you so to speak. I spent a great deal of time on the deck yesterday and today...going through stacks of old magazines for pictures and textures and colors...recycling and purging. I grilled out and I ate cheese - cheese always makes me think of you. Whenever I am relaxed and content and in my very own time-space, I think of you.

Your beautiful smile and your vivacious attitude and your brisk-never-sauntering-walk. How you are one of those people that energized everyone in the room just by talking. Your unflappably bohemian chic taste in clothes and shoes. Everytime I take a bath I think of you in your little apartment (which you don't live in anymore). But more, I feel your energy myself. I remember all the great fun we've had and the places we've been - The Heartland which was once Garett's but will now forever represent either your arrival or departure; the beach at Ligia and Mike's with or without a dog in tow; the Annex sipping martinis, Mr. Crum's skipping class; Suite Sixteen making martinis and emptying mine and Kimber's closet for something to wear; Halloween and Wednesday Addams; mermaids; sunburns; and the no-nonsense way you clarify the problem and then systematically solve it.

I have come to realize that although I can be very solitary...and enjoy being with myself, a defining part of my make-up is my relationship with my friends. You have never let me down and this weekend, for the first time in a very long time, with you to guide and lift me up, I remembered a bit of myself. The person I was when we met reached for the surface in the last 48 hours. So, I thank you for all that you've been and all that you continue to be. Don't forget to buy batteries or drink a martini in the afternoon. Big hugs and many kisses across the big pond. Missing you....

3 Comments:

Blogger leila said...

silly girl makin me cry........

L

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 3:18:00 AM

 
Blogger k said...

mmm, no crying, just thinking about you. hugs and kisses!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 12:50:00 AM

 
Blogger leila said...

i spent a really long time writting a super duper well long thought out response then it got zapped away;
shish, sometimes technology stinks;
lovingyou, and maybe i'll get the gumption up to write it again.
kisses,
L

Sunday, May 28, 2006 10:13:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home