random musings and events; tales of lunacy and hysteria; lightning strikes of intelligence accompanied by gibberish; stuff to amuse, rants to abuse; general nonsense that makes up my days, my nights and all the fluff in between

Monday, July 11, 2005

Stargazing

Several of my friends have birthdays in July. One friend's husband had a star in her astrological sign renamed for her. I didn't know you could do that. It's philosophically interesting...knowing that a celestial body, many light years away, has your name on it. Powerful...I find the ownership aspect of it interesting too. Again, knowing that something so vast and so far away belongs to you - if only in name. The idea of putting your mark on something that has existed for a minimum of thousands of years and will likely last far beyond your own lifetime is both empowering and immortalizing. I wonder if our modern and very personal claiming of the heavens will find a place in history. Astrological names for star groupings came from ancient navigation and mythology. Stories and techniques passed down from generation to generation and finally recorded in writing and passed between cultures. I wonder if my friend's name will find it's way into some myth for future generations to pass down and immortalize. It's romantic - as a gift I mean, creative. But also, reflective and spiritual in a way, otherworldly...like something watching over you. At the very least, a yearly reason to look heavenward - definitely better than cut flowers or a pair of slippers. Happy Birthday my friend and happy stargazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home