random musings and events; tales of lunacy and hysteria; lightning strikes of intelligence accompanied by gibberish; stuff to amuse, rants to abuse; general nonsense that makes up my days, my nights and all the fluff in between

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Swimming in a Sea of Thoughts

I have not posted in over a week. No real crisis - but I feel the need to write about something. Instead, I am lost in too many thoughts - so many things to contemplate, no one single idea fully formed. I have been steeped in history all day. This morning in the history of Art - Medieval Romanesque and Gothic art. Tonight watching Ancient Greece and Rome - first "Troy," now "King Arthur." I love that 1500 year span from Ancient Greece to just before the Renaissance. The proliferation and grandeur of the Golden Age of the Greeks and then the Romans, the Early Christian and Byzantine periods straight through the so called Dark Ages. It is such an amazing time of folklore, mythology, pagan rites and christian beginnings. And everywhere, amazing, symbolic, richly creative art. I used to be a great lover of Modern Art, Post-Impressionism and Abstract Expressionism in particular. Symbolism too. And I suppose I still do have an affinity for these periods. But I find, more and more that I am engrossed, enamoured even with the Dark Ages. (Of course, to love the Dark Ages is to understand and study the Golden Age before it.) So I am an admirer of the Greeks and Romans as well. My whole life has been about history in some form or other. My father is a great historian and even makes quite a lucrative hobby of his love of history. He has always loved early American history - the Civil War, it's cavalry in particular. But now he studies the cavalry of many ages, from the Napoleonic Wars to WWI. And I am drawn to the cavalry as well. But I find the political, religious, symbolic and visual imagery of a period even more fascinating. If you look hard enough, the art of any age will define each of these - government, spirituality - life itself. And so I swim around in my thoughts - enveloped in history today - reviving my brain cells with art and lore and cinematic interpretation. Here's to ever-evolving creativity!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home